Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Brief network outage, resolved
andy
Posted: Mar 13 2016, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

We recently had a brief network outage attributed to some kind of problem with one our upstream providers. Not all customers would have seen this outage because it was highly dependent on the network path used.

We do not know the nature of the outage. It is also not possible to discern for certain which provider experienced the outage.

The Seattle, WA area is experiencing power outages in various localities due to a recent wind event, so it is possible there was a power interruption at one of their facilities.

Our facility has had no power interruptions and all of our equipment appears to have been fully functional before, during, and after the outage event.

We will be asking our upstream providers if they had any outages so we can isolate where the trouble originated. Normally, BGP routing will take care of removing a down link from the routing table, so the nature of this failure implies that it was something more complex than a power or link problem.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Mar 21 2016, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

The upstream provider finally got back to us today. The outage was caused by a DDoS attack against one of their other customers who shares some of the upstream infrastructure from that provider.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll