Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> SimpleVPS
Posted: Jul 17 2003, 05:53 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I've emailed some questions to Dustin on these accounts.

I wanted to point out that the links to the store from http://www.simplywebhosting.com/vds-features.shtml (and the pricing links in the left-column menu of all the VDS pages) ) do not show the SimpleVPS accounts, however the one from http://www.simplywebhosting.com/order.shtml (accessed from the "Order now" link in the page header) does.

When I compare VDS plans, the generated table says "no" under SimpleVPS for software and services found under PSA5 in my Upipe and MDH accounts. Is this an error? Or are those features disabled in addition to the "confusing and potentially 'dangerous' options" referred to in the announcement?

Finally, an update of the VDS features page, perhaps adding "except SimpleVPS" (as it has been for Micro-VDS) would also help me choose between plans.

Hope this helps!
brucew
Posted: Jul 17 2003, 05:54 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 129

Whoops. Hadn't logged in when I posted that. Above post comes from me.

--------------------
I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Jul 17 2003, 10:21 AM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

I wanted to point out that the links to the store from http://www.simplywebhosting.com/vds-features.shtml (and the pricing links in the left-column menu of all the VDS pages) ) do not show the SimpleVPS accounts, however the one from http://www.simplywebhosting.com/order.shtml (accessed from the "Order now" link in the page header) does.

As you're aware, this is a brand new line of accounts. Our webmaster is still in the process of integrating them into simplywebhosting.com.

When I compare VDS plans, the generated table says "no" under SimpleVPS for software and services found under PSA5 in my Upipe and MDH accounts. Is this an error? Or are those features disabled in addition to the "confusing and potentially 'dangerous' options" referred to in the announcement?

Read the description for any SimpleVPS plan and I think it will be more clear. PSA **includes** all of those various technologies. That list you're reading is a list of individual applications, not individual features. Those application templates are not compatible with PSA and thus are not available. However, the PSA application template included with the SimpleVPS supports and includes all of those various technologies listed in the description of the SimpleVPS plans. I realize that it doesn't lend itself well to the "plan comparison" feature of the HSPC store, but the SimpleVPS plans were never intended to be compared to VDS and LSVDS accounts because they are so different. Unfortunately, we have no way of removing the ability to compare those different lines of accounts.

As far as disabling the "confusing and potentially 'dangerous' options", I knew that would raise some eyebrows, but I couldn't think of a better way to say it. wink.gif Basically, we've dumbed it down so that people who use only the control panel can't destroy their PSA installation from the HSPC control panel. This includes things like add/remove users, add/remove applications, stop/start apache, stop/start xinetd, change runlevel settings, and all those other things that would be "dangerous" to the functionality of the PSA installation. All those various things are supposed to be under the complete and total control of PSA in order for PSA to happily do its job without errors.

Now, for those that still want to be able to 'get into the guts' of their VPS, they certainly can through SSH and root login. People that know how to use SSH are a little less likely to accidentally destroy their PSA installation and wonder what happened, so we left that capability in there in case an expert user wanted to update their version of PHP, install a PERL module, or various other things that experienced system admins do on a regular basis from a root SSH session.

Finally, an update of the VDS features page, perhaps adding "except SimpleVPS" (as it has been for Micro-VDS) would also help me choose between plans.

This will be done when the update to simplywebhosting.com mentioned above is done. For now, just remember that the SimpleVPS is totally different from the LSVDS and VDS accounts and there is very little, if any, comparison that should be done.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll