Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Anyone running a ShoutCast server?
andy
Posted: Apr 2 2003, 06:34 AM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

Anyone out there running a ShoutCast server?
http://www.shoutcast.com/support/docs/

I've been thinking about setting one up for one of my favorite online radio stations (haven't done any serious cost/benefit analysis yet) and I'm wondering what kind of CPU resources it takes. I'm also interested in any caveats or things to watch out for.

I'm going to be digging around on their web site some more as time permits (this is kind of a background project), but I'd like to get some feedback from anyone out there that may have traveled this road before.

BTW, the radio station(s) I'm looking at setting this up for are at http://www.di.fm/ . We've got hoardes of bandwidth, several unused servers that need something to do, and we're in need of advertising/customers. This is just one unconventional win/win scenario as far as I see it at this point.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
inetwiz
Posted: Apr 2 2003, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

Good call Andy!

I personally love DI and had considered setting up a ShoutCast relay for them on my VDS, however, I couldn't really afford buying the bandwidth (the quantity kind of counted me out, even though you guys cut quite a deal on it!).

A friend of mine used to spin a little (ya know, like turntables) and I ran a shoutcast off of my cable modem for him so I and some other friends could listen.

I'd be more than happy to help you out with this project, just drop me an e-mail (caleb.at.inetwiz.com)

-=Caleb Newville=-

--------------------
Although I do not work for Advantagecom, I am available for freelance work if you require server administration, consultation or technical assistance. Please don't hesitate to inquire via e-mail, instant message, or private message.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
andy
Posted: Apr 4 2003, 01:58 AM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

I had an email exchange with the founder and he said that the 300MHz and 450MHz K6-2 CPU's used on the Cobalt RaQ3 and RaQ 4 servers should be quite adequate for running a relay station.

Apparently, any encoding work is done at the head end and all the relay server does is receive, duplicate, and send a data stream. That doesn't take much CPU at all, so we should be able to do this just fine using some of our older hardware that we have "sitting on the shelf."

The founder (his name is Ari) seemed pretty excited about us helping out.

We'll probably go ahead with it on a trial basis for a couple of weeks. Any cost/benefit analysis I could do before a trial would be near to pure guess work and of only limited usefulness. By trying it out, we'll get to see real world figures in terms of results from the advertising and costs associated with keeping it running. If it turns out to be horrible, then we can always put an end to the trial.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
inetwiz
Posted: Apr 4 2003, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

I too have spoken with Ari before on my previous considerations of relaying. He's a pretty cool guy in my opinion.

He is also correct on the hardware, it takes very little. When I was doing my stream, I had about 20 listeners running off of a pentium 75 with 32mb ram, and as I recall, it didn't hardly touch the box.

-=Caleb Newville=-

--------------------
Although I do not work for Advantagecom, I am available for freelance work if you require server administration, consultation or technical assistance. Please don't hesitate to inquire via e-mail, instant message, or private message.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll