Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> SSH
linuxeon
Posted: Aug 28 2002, 12:48 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 28

Can you provide an access through SSH? Sometimes I need to make a slight changes on my site from other computer that has no FTP client....

thanks...
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
andy
Posted: Aug 28 2002, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

We can offer SSH on Cobalt servers, but do to some Plesk created security holes that are exposed to users with shell access, we can't allow shell access on Broadband Content or Universal Pipe accounts at this time.

We are in the process of evaluating some software (all things look favorable right now) that will allow us to offer accounts with SSH access as a standard feature. The new accounts are yet to be finalized, but it looks like they'll be almost exactly like the BC or Upipe accounts except they will use a different control panel and allow true root access via SSH.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
Dustin
Posted: Aug 29 2002, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 6

Another thing I thought I'd point out is that no computer doesn't have an FTP client. You can use Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, or even a dos prompt to FTP to your site.

I'm not too sure about Mac, but I'm sure there is a way to FTP with default software on those too (not 100% sure though biggrin.gif ).
PMUsers Website
sMcd
Posted: Nov 6 2002, 02:15 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 88

Well ... while Dustin is technically correct (every computer I've seen over the last several years allows ftp), it is NOT always the case that you can use ftp. For instance, if you're behind a corporate firewall or proxy server -- or if a friendly system admin has tweaked you registry to disallow two-way ftp access -- you may not be able to actually transfer files with ftp.

As a workaround in such situations I use web2ftp: http://web2ftp.com . But, are there any current plans to open SSH access on UP or BB accounts? Does Plesk 5.0 close any of the security holes that have prevented SSH on UP/BB accounts to date?

sMcd
PMUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
andy
Posted: Nov 6 2002, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

But, are there any current plans to open SSH access on UP or BB accounts? Does Plesk 5.0 close any of the security holes that have prevented SSH on UP/BB accounts to date?

Nope and nope. smile.gif

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll