Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Modified virtual dedicated server plan
Posted: Jan 1 2003, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

Group:
Member No.: 0

Hey Guys,
I was looking over your pricing for the universal pipe and virtual dedicated hosting and was wondering if it would be at all possible to modify / customize a plan for me.

What i'd like to do is have a virtual dedicated server plan with the ratios of the universal pipe plans.

Basically at this point in time i think i'll need more disk space than i'll need bandwidth. So would it be possible to get something like the VDS3 plan but drop the bandwidth to 10 or 20 gig and up the disk space to 1(1.5)gig

( I'd be willing to use the universal pipe plan however i need to be able to do minor edits on my site directly and transfer files using encrypted transport mediums such as ssh, sftp and scp.)

Feel free to email me at danny[@]hackinthebox.net and i'll supply a phone number to discuss this further.

Cheers
Danny
PMEmail Poster
andy
Posted: Jan 1 2003, 09:34 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

What i'd like to do is have a virtual dedicated server plan with the ratios of the universal pipe plans.

Due to the nature of the VDS plans they will always be substantially more expensive than the Upipe plans. A VDS uses about 6MB of RAM and around 140MB of disk space with absolutely no usage of the account. A Upipe account uses virtually no disk space and no RAM with no usage of the account. So, the base costs of a VDS are naturally higher because of that issue.

However, we can create a VDS plan with 1500MB of disk space and 15GB of data transfer that has the same CPU power and resource usage limits as the VDS3. Such a plan would be priced at $74.95 a month and a $50 setup.

As you can see, if you're looking for a bunch of cheap disk space, you probably won't find it with a VDS plan. Since they are RAID 5 arrays using fast SCSI drives, the disk space goes for a premium (costs more than 5 times what the equivalent single IDE drive of equal capacity costs). Still, at $0.05 per MB per month, it's a bargain when you compare it to what many other hosts charge for disk space.

In some ways, you might be better off getting a VDS3 for $24.95 a month with a $25.00 setup and just adding disk space as you need it. Additional disk space can be added on-the-fly for $0.05 per MB per month. So, to get up to 1000MB of disk space, you'd need to add 400MB at $20.00 a month. That brings your monthly total up to $44.95 a month and you'd have 50GB of monthly data transfer to play with as well.

So, in the end, when you choose to just add space to a VDS3, you'd end up with a 1000MB disk space and 50GB data transfer per month account for $25.00 setup and $44.95 a month.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Jan 1 2003, 11:47 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

I just added a new plan that may be better suited to your needs. It's based on inexpensive IDE drives and non-redundant servers. Several other people have expressed an interest in cheaper disk space for the VDS plans and this is the only way I could think of to do it.

It's the LSVDS-A plan at:

http://manage.speedingbits.com/store/

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
Posted: Jan 2 2003, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

Group:
Member No.: 0

Cool, what OS's do the VDS boxes run?

is it similar to a freebsd jail environment?

Danny
PMEmail Poster
jeff
Posted: Jan 2 2003, 09:06 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

Our VDS our driven by HSP Complete/Virtuozzo which offers true discrete server environments - nothing like the FreeBSD jail system. The OS is Linux Red Hat.

--------------------
Customer Service
Advantagecom Networks, Inc.
Review us at:
HostingAssured
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll