Powered by Invision Power Board

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What have I done?! Internal Error on FormMail?
Singer
Posted: Jan 22 2003, 03:45 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 163

Hi Ok I'mconfused. This ismy first form....I think I did everything I was supposed to as per the previous entries at this site and my readme info from Mattscripts.
I schmoded to 755
I named the script EmcyFormMail.pl
Stuck it in my cgi-bin
took off the # sign at the top of the script
changed the referres and sendmail thing

changed my form page to reflect the file EmcyFormMail.pl
uploaded it as an Ascii.txt... renamed it as .pl

put in the correct email addresses to send to..
For some odd reason I am getting thefollowing error message:

"Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Server at citwretreat.com "

What have I done?!

Here's the address and stuff http://www.citwretreat.com
the form is in http://www.citwretreat.com/Contact/main1.html

Thanks for your help.

regards
BArb
PM
Dustin
Posted: Jan 22 2003, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 6

Two things. One, at the top of the script, the place where the path to perl is specified actually needs that comment ( # ) there. I went ahead and re-added that.

Another problem is that the script appears to have had some non-Unix formatting. This can be caused by several things. The most common would be that the script was not edited with a text editor that defaults to plain text. WordPad is a good example of this. I've even run across cases in Windows XP where just using copy/paste will format text. Either way, I've run a conversion script and FormMail is now working as it should.
PMUsers Website
Singer
Posted: Jan 22 2003, 06:41 PM
Quote Post

HI Cool thanks! It gives me another error message but not one I can't handle...as of yet at least.. smile.gif

Thasnk
regards
BArb
PM
Singer
Posted: Jan 23 2003, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

HI ok.... I give........
It keeps tellingl me my recipients is wrong.. but when I checked it it looks good to me...
the form at the bottom shows: <input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="info@citwretreat.com">

script shows: @recipients = &fill_recipients('^julie@citwretreat.com','^barb@emeraldcitymusic.com','^info@citwretreat.com','^info@emeraldcitymusic.com');

here's the error message:
There was no recipient or an invalid recipient specified in the data sent to FormMail. Please make sure you have filled in the recipient form field with an e-mail address that has been configured in @recipients. More information on filling in recipient form fields and variables can be found in the README file.
ideas?
thanks
Barb
PM
Creekgeek
Posted: Jan 24 2003, 12:06 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 177

Last thing you'll want to hear, but at least this second issue may provide some insight into the first ...

error:

Cannot run the FrontPage Server Extensions on this page: "http://www.citwretreat.com/logbook.htm"

source:

<form action="_vti_bin/shtml.exe/logbook.htm" method="POST" webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--">
<!--webbot bot="SaveResults" startspan U-File="guestlog.htm" S-Format="HTML/DL"
S-Label-Fields="TRUE" S-Builtin-Fields="Date Time REMOTE_USER" S-Form-Fields
S-Email-Address="yours@was.here" S-Email-Format="TEXT/PRE" --><!--webbot
bot="SaveResults" endspan i-checksum="0" -->

My FrontPage experience = it must be "enabled" in order to not work ~;-)

--------------------
Daniel @drian Keeney

there will be no . . . end of the creek ~;-)
PMUsers Website
Dustin
Posted: Jan 24 2003, 09:58 AM
Quote Post

I went ahead and read through the FormMail README file and it looks like you don't actually need the escape character before the "@" sign. Here's the example from the README:

CODE
@recipients = (&fill_recipients('domain.com','sub.domain.com'),

'^otheruser1@otherhost.com',

'^otheruser2@otherhost.com');

My next bet would be to try removing the "" you have before the "@" sign in your script and giving it another try.
PMUsers Website
Singer
Posted: Jan 24 2003, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

HI ok...
Danial..what page did you get that from?!
I didn't see it anywhere on the main1.html page at http://www.citwretreat.com/contact/main1.html
..did you go to the logbook link on the nav bar or the contact us link?

Dustin..I tried both and neither worked.....
I keep getting this error message:
Error: Bad/No Recipient
There was no recipient or an invalid recipient specified in the data sent to FormMail. Please make sure you have filled in the recipient form field with an e-mail address that has been configured in @recipients. More information on filling in recipient form fields and variables can be found in the README file.

Does it have anything to do with where on my page I put the following?
<input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="info@citwretreat.com">
I currently have it after the submit button at the bottom of the page.

Also...does it matter if it's part of a table or not?

I did the page in front page , uploaded initially via cuteftp. and am editing it through my upipe server admin page. smile.gif

One other thought I have is this......When I changed servers over, there seem to be a few extra pages that entered my Contact file.
these pages are contact..htm, contacts..htm
I can't seem to delete them and I'm not sure where they came from as I don't rememerb creating them myself...... could this be a part of the problem? I don't refer to them anywhere on the main1.html page and I'm pretty sure they didn't get on the formmail page

regards
BArb
PM
Dustin
Posted: Jan 24 2003, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

Oh boy. The form was very obviously made with FrontPage and it's virtually impossible for me to read! :shock: Just out of curiousity, why are you using FormMail when you can make your forms with FrontPage?

As for the other files that you mention, I don't see how they'd be affecting the form.
PMUsers Website
Singer
Posted: Jan 25 2003, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Hi Dustin, I'm not sure you understood....the form page (.html) was made in front page. the script was pulled from Matt's Scripts on the internet.
I just need help in linking the two together. The front page script maker was a mess to try and work with this was much easier.. Sorry ifi you can't rad the page.. what's the problem with it?

Barb
PM
Creekgeek
Posted: Jan 25 2003, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 177

Hey, Barb ...

I don't recall which specific link I'd used, but do remember looking at several forms. The Email address is the form appeared correct, except I don't think you need to use the "@" symbol within scripts that split them ... I substitute things like "your@address.here" or "domain.here" for privacy, and apologize for not pointing that detail out.

[quote]... why are you using FormMail when you can make your forms with FrontPage? [/quote]

I think he did understand your question, but was gently suggesting this simpler solution: If you ditch Matt's scripts, however good they are, and just make these two or three forms over using only FrontPage? You're problems are solved, since you'll eliminate the FormMail issue. I think.

I'm not much of a FrontPage user, but remember that there is good documentation available. If I remember, many problems can be avoided by starting your new location as a brand new Site within FrontPage ... that way, there's no chance that it could be using the paths to your old location.

--------------------
Daniel @drian Keeney

there will be no . . . end of the creek ~;-)
PMUsers Website
Dustin
Posted: Jan 27 2003, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

[quote]I think he did understand your question, but was gently suggesting this simpler solution:[/quote]

That's about the gist of it. Specifically, the FrontPage form functions are not compatible with FormMail. In the form generated by FrontPage, you have sections like this:

CODE
//--></script><!--webbot BOT="GeneratedScript" endspan --><form name="EmcyFormMail" method="POST" action="http://path/to/formmail/script" ENCTYPE="text/plain"

target="_blank" onsubmit="return EmcyFormMail(this)" language="JavaScript" webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--">

<!--webbot bot="SaveResults" S-Email-Format="TEXT/PRE"

This is basically just FrontPage trying to take over the form submission proccess and doing it's own thing. If you're familiar with FrontPage, I'd recommend using it's form functions.

Basically, you're only other option would be to manually type the html using nothing but the html editor in FrontPage. This is actually fairly simple if you just follow the instructions in the README.
PMUsers Website
Singer
Posted: Feb 10 2003, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

HI, Thanks for all your replies thus far....I decided to try and do the front page thing but can't figure it out. I know, it's probably a really easy thing to do.. but.......I've been scouring these manuals and nothing is popping out at me as to what I"m doing wrong........

I checked frontpage help link and no luck re: script formatting. The form page I had made in front page already. I did the form properties thing and even tried adding a script reference link at the bottopm of the form
<a href="http://www.citwretreat.com/cgi-bin/EmcyFormMail.pl

but it's still not working. ugh!

ideas?

Do I have to create a new "web" under the file menu and do something with that?

thanks
BArb
PM
Singer
Posted: Feb 10 2003, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

:oops: do you mean that I don't need FormMail from matts script archive, if I make the form page in Front Page? And if I don't need to upload that script.. where does the script come from> Doesn't the form page I make in Front Page need a script?
thanks
BArb
PM
Dustin
Posted: Feb 10 2003, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

The FrontPage extensions have their own built in "scripts" of sorts. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but I know that they do (most of the time :mrgreen: ).

When you make the form in FrontPage using one of the form wizards, you'll be able to right click on the page, then select "form properties". This will give you the options of writing the results to a text file, emailing the results, or sending it to a script that's built to receive FrontPage results.

It sounds like you'd want to simply specify an email address to send the results to and the form should work from there.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Feb 10 2003, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

The FrontPage Extensions on your site (they're enabled, right?) have a built in form parser.

Rather than trying to rework the existing form that you were going to use with the FormMail PERL script, it might be easier to start a new page altogether.

Then, use FrontPage to insert form fields and the submit button. Right click in the form and select "Form Properties." In the "send to" area, put in the email address you want the form results sent to. Click OK and you're done.

**OR**, if you wanted to still use the formmail script from matt's script archive, you would use FrontPage to create the layout of the form with form fields and the submit button. Be sure to review the "readme" that came with the script to determine the required names of certain fields and make sure you have those fields put in place, including the hidden ones. Then, right click in the form area and select "form properties." You'd select "Send to other: Custom ISAPI, NSAPI, CGI, or ASP Script." Then click "Options" and put the URL to the script in the "Action" field. It should be something like http://www.yoursite.com/path/to/formmail.pl. Click OK and your form is ready to use the script.

[edit: don't forget to save the page before you try to use it]

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll