Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Upgrade HW-VPS CentOS 6 to 7
Fest3er
Posted: Jun 17 2018, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 330

CentOS 6 is nearing EOL (in 2020). Is it possible to upgrade to CentOS 7 'in place'? Alas, it seems everything I can find to read says 'Don't do dat. It'll hurt."

If not, do you have a bit of documentation that describes your prescribed method?

Thanks,
Neal
PMEmail Poster
andy
Posted: Jun 25 2018, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

Neal,

We're just putting the finishing touches on our service plans that make CentOS 7 available to customers. They'll be launched at the same time as our new web site, which should be in the next few weeks.

There is no CentOS 7 OS available for existing hwVPS plans due to changes in how CentOS 7 handles the boot process making it incompatible with the underlying virtualization.

Running CentOS 7 required a whole new virtualization platform, which has been in R&D for over 2 years now.

The method to go from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7 will be something along these lines:

1. Order the new account with CentOS 7. We'll be offering promotional deals during the first 6 months or so that will ease the cost of keeping two accounts during the transition time and incentivize the switch.

2. Copy your data from your old account to your new account. This would be files, databases, email accounts, and etc. If you have CPanel, this involves taking a full backup on your old system using the CPanel backup utilities and then restoring that to your CPanel installation on the new account.

3. Adjust any database details (db name, username, password) that may have changed between systems. Do the same for any email accounts.

4. Test your code to make sure it functions properly on the new versions of PHP/MySQL. Adjust your code as needed or update to newer versions of packages software such as WordPress.

5. When satisfied everything is working properly, change the DNS server information at the domain registrar to reflect the new nameservers.

6. Wait 72 hours to confirm everything transitioned fully.

7. Download any straggler email that ended up at the old system during the transition time.

8. Cancel your old account.

9. Enjoy the newness.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
Fest3er
Posted: Jun 25 2018, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 330

Way!

I'll keep an eye open....

Thanks, Andy.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll