Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> All I Did was copy and fix links....
Singer
Posted: Feb 26 2003, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 163

H I'm puzzled......
Now that got the guestbook and from to work on my friends site, I copied t to my site and it doesnt' work. I adjusted allthe links to reflect the move but I'm gettiung wierd errors.

i.e.
When I click on http://www.emeraldcitymusic.com/guests/guestbook.html I get the following error message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access to this document on this server.
Apache Server at emeraldcitymusic.com

And when click on http://www.emeraldcitymusc.com/addguest.html it pulls up the correct page, but when I hit submit it gves me this:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache Server at emeraldcitymusic.com

Not even the link at the bottom on that page lets me access http://www.emeraldcitymusic.com/guests/guestbook.html

I checked the dretory and al the files are in place where they dshould be..
is there a way to see ifi there were extra characters that got uploaded with this stuff? I downloaded the files via cuteFTP and then uploaded them again via the server. I had opened them in Frontpage but when I checked the pagesn notepad I didn't see any webbotts or other odd characters.. hmmmmm
very puzzled.

thanks
regards
BArb
PM
Singer
Posted: Feb 26 2003, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Oops I fogor to tell you where my cgi file is..
http://www.emeraldcitymusic.com/cgi-bin/guestbook.pl

Also it's a upipe 10 acount

regards
BArb
PM
Dustin
Posted: Feb 26 2003, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 6

It sounds like the files may have been formatted in some way. When you were using CuteFTP, did you make sure you were downloading and then uploading in ASCII (text) mode? When changing the paths listed in the script to reflect the new site, what program were you using to edit the file? Was it in plain text mode? When you opened the file in FrontPage, did you hit save?
PMUsers Website
Singer
Posted: Feb 28 2003, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

HI, It's been a while. I'm travelling and using library computers. ugh!
I remember saving it in frontpage and I'm fairly certain that it said asciimodein cuteftp. I could be very wrong on that. ugh!
How can I find out? I don't have cute or front page with me right now . Can I open it in anotherprogram and see anythign?

Thanks
Barb
PM
Dustin
Posted: Mar 3 2003, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

The problem most likely lies in the fact that you opened the script in FrontPage then saved it. This would have put FrontPage formatting into the script.

The only solution is to start out with a copy of the script that has never been touched by FrontPage and edit the script in a normal text editor that uses plain text formatting. Then, when it comes time to re-upload the new script, you can make sure the FTP program is transferring in ASCII mode.
PMUsers Website
Dustin
Posted: Mar 3 2003, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Just something I thought I should add. FrontPage and CGI scripts do not mix. FrontPage has a tendency to format and change everything it touches, whereas CGI needs to be formatted in a very specific way in order to be understood by whatever's interpretting it (usually Perl). Just opening and then saving a file with FrontPage will cause FrontPage to add all sorts of html code and such to the file, which isn't very healthy for a CGI script. Anyway, just though I'd try to clear that up.
PMUsers Website
Singer
Posted: Mar 3 2003, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

HI, Thanks will try it.
ugh

Regards
BArb
PM
Singer
Posted: Apr 17 2003, 03:22 PM
Quote Post

laugh.gif Nothing works as good as a fresh re-load. Thanks

Barb
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll