Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Perl Script Using Sendmail --> Won't Send Email
brian@upsa.ws
Posted: Apr 8 2003, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 86

Hi,

I'm using a perl script as my newsletter authoring script. It's designed to send out text based and html based emails to my opt-in list.

I have not encountered any errors using the script. The script runs fine, except when it comes time to actually send an email. In other words, it handles signing up new opt-in subscribers, and deleting those that want to opt-out.

However, when it comes time to send an actual email, I follow the directions, type in the email, etc and hit "send email" and nothing ever goes out.

It says that I'll receive an email notification that I have successfully sent my list a message-- but I never get that emai.

Some things that are happening:
-- When people opt in and out, I periodically receive that email
-- When I send an email out, nobody on my list gets that email
-- When I try it on a subdomain http://dc.upsa.ws , I get no email to go
-- When I try it on a "main" domain http://www.upsa.ws, I get no email to go

In my script I have the following info:
I have triple checked my path to sendmail and am using:
/usr/sbin/sendmail

My perl path is right (because the script will run)

My path to my root is:
/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/dc.upsa.ws/httpdocs/news_admin

My path to CGI is:
/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/dc.upsa.ws/cgi-bin/subscribe

I have contacted tech support of the script I have purchased to see if it's on their end. But I have used it successfully on another site.

I'm wondering if it's having trouble authenticating to sendmail, or if the subdomain is throwing it off?

Thanks,
Brian
PM
brian@upsa.ws
Posted: Apr 9 2003, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Further Update...

The tech support for the script has checked my settings as well as the installation. They also have a way to determine if the script finished processing and sent a request to the server. Apparently, the script finished processing and sent the request to sendmail.

Do you allow mass mailings out to an email list, or do you kill it? (FORK processes)

Brian
PM
andy
Posted: Apr 9 2003, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

Do you allow mass mailings out to an email list, or do you kill it? (FORK processes)

No and no, but we would kill it if it took up too much CPU. That isn't what happened in this case, though.

Likely what is going on is that since sendmail sends all traffic through the server IP, your email is getting rate limited. The IP address for the server is rate limited to 30Kbits/sec and some services are not allowed through the server IP address at all. This is to prevent anyone from bypassing their data transfer limit on their Upipe account. Mass mailing through the server IP would be just such an incident the rate limit on the server IP and firewall rules we have setup are designed to prevent.

Sorry bud. You're out of luck on this one, though you're welcome to get a VDS. It's more suited to this type of use than a Upipe account.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
brian@upsa.ws
Posted: Apr 9 2003, 04:53 PM
Quote Post

Thanks Andrew.

I figured that it was something like that.

I have pondered the VDS account, but wonder if it's more than I can chew.

I'll continue to think about it.

Thanks for your response!

Brian
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll