Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Questions on the reseller partner program...
chaosdolphin
Posted: May 22 2003, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 235

Apparently you need a site of sorts about hosting... that much I get, but...

"Once your reseller application has been approved, you will gain access to:

Your own fully customizable reseller web site with online store

Your own Reseller Control Center that enables you to customize your offerings, manage your clients, automatically bill your clients, and make payments on your wholesale account."

If you won't have access to your reseller web site until the application is approved, then how do you have a hosting-related URL first? Is it that you make a design for the site and put it up somewhere before trying to apply? And if not, where does this site need to be? Can it be anywhere, or does it have to be hosted here?

Also, exactly what are the "limited customizations" you can make to a non-custom-designed plan?
PM
andy
Posted: May 23 2003, 02:19 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

If you won't have access to your reseller web site until the application is approved, then how do you have a hosting-related URL first?

The underlying assumption is that you're already selling hosting or web design services from your own domain name before signing up for our reseller partner program and that you already have a web site somewhere selling those services. This seems a reasonable prerequisite given the volume of design related work and breadth of knowledge required to successfully get your reseller "store" operational.

If you're brand new to selling hosting or web design, then your first step would be to rough out a web site. We just need to see something to indicate you're serious and you're not just a tire kicker looking to sign up for an account and do nothing with it. It is free and that temptation would be there because you have nothing invested in it. We want active resellers because, while we do give reseller partner accounts away for free, they do tie up resources that need to be put to use for the express purpose of selling hosting for it to be worth our while to give away the reseller account.

Is it that you make a design for the site and put it up somewhere before trying to apply?

Generally, yes. If you're brand new to hosting, your current web site doesn't have to be hosting related. Just be sure to mention that in the comments section of the application. But, you *do* have to already have a web site of some kind. If you don't have a web site already, we would have to question whether or not you would make a suitable reseller partner.

Can it be anywhere, or does it have to be hosted here?

It can be hosted anywhere. You only have to host it with us if you're looking to score brownie points. But since brownie points have very little real value overall, it certainly isn't a requirement. It is worth knowing what you're selling, however, since you will have to support it, so we do recommend that you already have a VDS style account so that you are familiar with its operation.

Also, exactly what are the "limited customizations" you can make to a non-custom-designed plan?

You can change the plan name, the plan "short description", and the plan "long description." You cannot change the amount of resources (memory, disk space, cpu priority, bandwidth, data transfer, etc.) included with the plan since those are tied to the price we charge you for the plans you resell. You can, however, set your prices that you charge your customers to whatever numbers you deem necessary.

A custom designed plan would be one where you work with us to create a hosting plan that has its own custom resource settings. That plan would be assigned to you exclusively. That would mean that no other resellers could sell your plan and it would be unique to your reseller partner account.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
chaosdolphin
Posted: May 23 2003, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Thanks for the reply happy.gif

My site is currently on some pretty lousy servers, so I'll move it when my term there expires... I figured moving it here would be a good option, although most of the VDS's are too costly and the Micro-VDS doesn't quite have the capabilities I need... so I figured I could use the Reseller Partner plan to cover costs and maybe a bit more...

Is that a legitimate usage? I'd try my best to sell as much as I could. If yes, then I'll probably contact you again just before my term over there expires so you can review my site to see if it's okay. If not, well, I'll keep looking...

In any case, thanks for your time, and again for your reply happy.gif
PM
andy
Posted: May 23 2003, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

Is that a legitimate usage?

Yes, but be sure to read the reseller partner terms and conditions. You'll find the reseller partner program to be much more involved than an affiliate program. Your responsibilities as a reseller partner are clearly outlined in the terms and conditions.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
chaosdolphin
Posted: May 26 2003, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

Alright, I read them over... seems all right, I guess...

In any case, I'll think about it for a while, and ask my users if they'd be interested in buying... if they aren't then there's no point, after all.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll