Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> RedHat 7.3 Upgrade
inetwiz
Posted: Jan 16 2004, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

Hello,

What would be the method of upgrading my RedHat7.1 D-VPS to a 7.3 D-VPS? I explored the "Change Hosting Plan" in my control panel, however, other 7.1 plans appear to be the only option. This is in reference to subscription #34

Also, out of curiosity, what does it mean to "start server in repair mode"?

Thanks,
Caleb Newville

--------------------
Although I do not work for Advantagecom, I am available for freelance work if you require server administration, consultation or technical assistance. Please don't hesitate to inquire via e-mail, instant message, or private message.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
andy
Posted: Jan 16 2004, 02:42 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

What would be the method of upgrading my RedHat7.1 D-VPS to a 7.3 D-VPS? I explored the "Change Hosting Plan" in my control panel, however, other 7.1 plans appear to be the only option. This is in reference to subscription #34

Unfortunately, the method to upgrade to RedHat 7.3 from RedHat 7.1 on any plan is not nearly so seemless as we had hoped it would be. Of course, this was learned *after* the HSPC upgrade that allowed us to begin offering RedHat 7.3 based plans.

Basically, you have to change the hostname of your existing VE and order a new VE based on RedHat 7.3 with the hostname that was previously on your old VE. They can both be on the same domain or on different domains.

Then you move all the files and settings from the old VE to the new VE by hand. When that is completed and everything is situated and functional on the new VE, terminate the subscription for the old VE. You should not need to make any DNS server changes at the registrar since the same DNS servers will be used for both VEs.

Also, out of curiosity, what does it mean to "start server in repair mode"?

It boots the VE with a minimal functional configuration that allows you to SSH into the VE and correct any misconfigurations or broken binary files that prevented it from starting normally. To get out of repair mode, just stop/start the VE when you're done with the repairs.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
inetwiz
Posted: Jan 19 2004, 09:41 AM
Quote Post

Thanks for the response. Seems there were lots of misonceptions from SWSoft wink2.gif

I don't really need it for my VE so I'll hold of there, however, we'll probably do it with Keith's (relating to the e-mails with Martin).

Thanks,
-=Caleb Newville=-

--------------------
Although I do not work for Advantagecom, I am available for freelance work if you require server administration, consultation or technical assistance. Please don't hesitate to inquire via e-mail, instant message, or private message.
andy
Posted: Jan 19 2004, 09:01 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

Seems there were lots of misonceptions from SWSoft

Such is life. I can't say I'm happy about it, but I can say that it is no worse than the service I get from most software companies these days. blush.gif

Most of this came from a sales person that no longer works at SWSoft. That is also a pretty typical experience these days.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
Lord
Posted: Feb 20 2004, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (andy @ Jan 16 2004, 05:42 PM)
Basically, you have to change the hostname of your existing VE and order a new VE based on RedHat 7.3 with the hostname that was previously on your old VE. They can both be on the same domain or on different domains.

Then you move all the files and settings from the old VE to the new VE by hand. When that is completed and everything is situated and functional on the new VE, terminate the subscription for the old VE. You should not need to make any DNS server changes at the registrar since the same DNS servers will be used for both VEs.

This answers my question too but there will be any donwtime?

I will keep the same nameservers and the same domain name.

(subscription #179)

Thanks.
PM
Matt
Posted: Feb 24 2004, 11:16 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 342

This answers my question too but there will be any donwtime?

I will keep the same nameservers and the same domain name.

Are you planning to move your Plesk 5 accounts to Plesk 6 on the new VE? If so the process becomes more complex, and there are a couple different methods for moving your accounts. The methods below assume you are using your own registered DNS servers through Plesk. If you are using HSPcomplete to manage your DNS let me know and I will provide modified instructions.

The first method would be to purchase a Plesk-VPS VE, and move the sites by hand as time permits. The steps would be:

1) Create a Plesk-VPS VE.
2) Create the domains from your Plesk 5 installation on your new Plesk-VPS subscription.
3) Transfer the files, mail accounts, and other site settings from your Plesk 5 installation to your Plesk-VPS subscription.
4) Change the IP addresses listed for your registered DNS servers at your registrar.

The second method would be to install Plesk 5 by rpm on the new VE, then use the Plesk 5 backup and restore features, then upgrade Plesk 5 to Plesk 6. The steps would be.

1) Set up new VE (using Red Hat Linux 7.3).
2) Install Plesk 5 by rpm on new VE.
3) Dump sites on old VE using the Plesk backup utilities
4) Restore sites on new VE using the Plesk restore utilities.
5) Change the IPs for the web sites on the new IPs on the VE.
6) Change the IP addresses listed for your registered DNS servers at your registrar.
7) Once DNS has propagated, upgrade Plesk 5 on new VE to Plesk 6.

Both of these methods should not result in any down time if you are using your own registered DNS servers through Plesk. While you are waiting for DNS to propagate web traffic and email could go to one or the other of the two VEs. Once DNS is fully transferred, you will need to make sure that any email or other data that went to the old sites is moved to the new sites.

A third method that would simpler would be to keep two VEs. Stop selling Plesk 5 accounts to your customers and place all new accounts on your Plesk 6 system. You could then move customers who wished to move to the Plesk 6 system at your leisure.

--------------------
Matt B.
Advantagecom Technical Support

Private messages are ignored unless solicited. If you have a support question, please email support@advantagecom.net, post in the appropriate section of the forum, or call if your service plan allows support by phone.
PMUsers Website
Lord
Posted: Feb 24 2004, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (Matt)
Are you planning to move your Plesk 5 accounts to Plesk 6 on the new VE?

Ideally, yes! I prefer having all those accounts on Plesk 5 moved to Plesk 6 or 7. One of the main reasons is that I want to track their real bandwidth usage (including FTP) as I explained in an other post on this forum.

QUOTE (Matt)
The methods below assume you are using your own registered DNS servers through Plesk.

Yes we are using our own registered DNS servers through Plesk. (subscription #179)

QUOTE (Matt)
The first method would be to purchase a Plesk-VPS VE

Since we are already using The Schmolie Special VE, I think the Plesk-VPS will cost us more money and thus, is not profitable.

QUOTE (Matt)
The second method would be to install Plesk 5 by rpm on the new VE, then use the Plesk 5 backup and restore features, then upgrade Plesk 5 to Plesk 6...

This method sounds great! But what about websites using a dedicated IP?
If we modify the IPs, they will be down, right?
Also, will the 4 first steps be done in one day? I mean, I don't want to pay for 2 VEs while we are moving the accounts.

QUOTE (Matt)
A third method that would simpler would be to keep two VEs. Stop selling Plesk 5 accounts to your customers and place all new accounts on your Plesk 6 system. You could then move customers who wished to move to the Plesk 6 system at your leisure.

It looks like we have a Plesk key with "free" updates for 1 year. So I prefer to take advantage from this before I order another VE and increase our expenses.
Thank you anyway, this method can be the last choice!

Thanks.
PM
inetwiz
Posted: Feb 24 2004, 04:06 PM
Quote Post

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll