Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Failed hard drive on hwVPS storage array, no downtime - transparent replacement
andy
Posted: Aug 4 2016, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

During all the activity related to replacing the HBA, a hard drive on the storage array servicing the hwVPS accounts decided now was a perfect time to die.

We don't agree.

The hard drive is part of a redundant array, so no downtime is expected at any part of the process. There will be slightly slower fast storage until we replace the drive.

We're currently checking our spare drive inventory for a replacement.

Updates will be posted here.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Aug 4 2016, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

We have practically every other type of spare hard drive on hand, but not one of these.

We'll be ordering the replacement drive and another spare shortly.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Aug 5 2016, 04:53 PM
Quote Post

We ordered the replacements.

We lucked out and got a newer generation of hard drive for about the same money. Faster and lower power usage. Same high end reliability.

Going forward, we'll have tighter inventory control so that when the last spare of a particular type of component is used, we'll order a new spare. That way, we should always have the replacement component on-hand.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Aug 11 2016, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

We've installed the replacement drive and the array is rebuilding onto the new drive. The fast storage will be slightly slower during the next hour or two while the rebuild process proceeds and will return to full performance when the rebuild is complete.

We've also installed a hot-spare that can take over for a failed drive by beginning the rebuilt process immediately upon detecting a failed drive. This allows us to purchase a replacement drive for the failed drive and await delivery without jeopardizing the reliability and redundancy of the storage array.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll