Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Spam incident on webpro2.speedingbits.com, weak/compromised user password
andy
Posted: Dec 1 2016, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

We're in the process of deleting several hundred thousand spams that were being sent from a compromised user account on webpro2.speedingbits.com.

The responsible account has been suspended. Since this is not their first incident in recent history, we'll be taking more stern measures.

If you have an account on this system and were expecting legitimate email between 2:00AM and 11:15AM on December 1, 2016 Pacific time (GMT -8:00), it may have been lost when we cleaned out the queue. It is not practical to pick through hundreds of thousands of spams to find a few legitimate messages when the outbound spam still in the queue must be stopped immediately.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

We wish these incidents would never happen, but there is only so much we can do about lax security practices on the part of the users. There are certain individuals that, no matter how much we educate them, all we get is lip service and they repeatedly ignore the security practices we've explained to them.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Dec 1 2016, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

We've increased the password security requirements enforced by the system. Customers are no longer allowed to use weak passwords.

If this upsets you, you're part of the problem and it's time you adjust your thinking or take your weak passwords to another hosting company where you can be their problem and destroy their business and the businesses of everyone on the same server as you.

If you have trouble remembering passwords or don't know how to make a secure password, try one of these software packages:

KeePass, for the paranoid that don't trust "the cloud" to keep their passwords safe:
http://keepass.info/

Dashlane, for those who embrace the "the cloud" and everything that brings with it:
https://www.dashlane.com/

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll