Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> When server goes down, are ther no backups?
pacific
Posted: Dec 23 2005, 11:24 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

Hello, Andy:

Last night's and today's UPIPE down times caught me working on several sites. I had to wait until service was resumed, to finish my work.

Regarding this mornings UPIPE downtime:
Is there not backup/redundents so when one server fails, another takes over until normality can be restored? A failed fan would automatically make a switchover happen?

I thought this was how things were set up.
The external routing that you have no control over, wellk, that's somehow unavoidable, but server backups?....

--------------------
PACIFIC WEBSITES
Website Promotion and Maintenance

(250) 339-2687
Toll-free: 1-866-726-0788
Monday - Friday, 9 to 5
HELPING YOUR BUSINESS SUCCEED ONLINE.
www.PacificWebsites.com
"Over 1,000/day Club"
Website Promotion - we get results
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Dec 24 2005, 10:32 AM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

The Upipe server has never and will never have a redundant auto-failover server.

Here's why:
  • There would have to be much higher Upipe prices to support the additional costs, which are much more than just additional server hardware.
  • It has never been advertised or even implied that Upipe accounts employ server load balancing and/or fail-over.
  • Most people with Upipe accounts wouldn't understand the higher prices, let alone pay them.
  • There are very few non-redundant components in the system, so it is extremely rare when something causes the system to fail.
  • It is not possible to buy a second Plesk 5 software license for a second system - they are no longer sold.
  • It is not something that can be done on a 'per-account' basis. It is an all account or no account type of issue.

To be clear, it was a CPU fan that failed (one of two in the system - two cpu's). That had happened once previously about a year ago. Since this is the second time one of the CPU fans has failed in that system, we've decided to explore the possibility of a fanless cooling solution. The case fans in the system are all redundant, so if we can find a fanless cpu cooling solution that uses normal case airflow only, we should be able to avoid this type of problem in the future.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
pacific
Posted: Dec 29 2005, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

Thanks, Andy, great explanation.

--------------------
PACIFIC WEBSITES
Website Promotion and Maintenance

(250) 339-2687
Toll-free: 1-866-726-0788
Monday - Friday, 9 to 5
HELPING YOUR BUSINESS SUCCEED ONLINE.
www.PacificWebsites.com
"Over 1,000/day Club"
Website Promotion - we get results
PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll