Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> spamassassin on Virtuozzo FC4, Setup spamassassin on Virtuozzo FC4
aie
Posted: Feb 16 2010, 10:41 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 525

I am trying to setup spamassassin on my MicroStarter-VPS 2006 FC4 system.

I have tried integrating spamassassin with sendmail & procmail by creating a /etc/procmailrc file with a spamassassin procmail recipe.

This works when I send emails to unix users for the domain under which the VPS is registered (richardscrivener.name) but not when I send emails to co-hosted domains (e.g. aie.com.au).

It looks as if the mail server for co-hosted domains is not the sendmail server on the VPS.

Can you give me details of how mail to co-hosted domains is processed, and how I can setup spamassassin for co-hosted domains?

thanks in advance,

Richard Scrivener
aie.com.au
PMEmail Poster
Matt
Posted: Feb 17 2010, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 342

Richard:

The Fedora Core 4 Virtuozzo VPS does not have an application template for SpamAssassin. Therefore, you have installed and configured SpamAssassin manually. Only the standard mail server setup is directly supported. However, I can provide you the following information:

By default, the sendmail mail server will accept email for all hostnames added through the HSPC control panel. When you add a hostname in the HSPC control panel, it is automatically added to the /etc/mail/local-host-names file. The local-host-names file contains the hostnames for which sendmail will accept email.

The xinetd daemon is the service that listens for POP3 and SMTP requests. Xinetd will launch specified applications for the ports on which it listens. By default xinetd launches the popa3d server for the pop3 service and launches sendmail for smtp service.

By default, the server will use POP before SMTP authentication for mail users.

When troubleshooting, I recommend that you look at your server log files found in the /var/log/ directory. Specifically, /var/log/maillog, /var/log/messages, and /var/log/secure.

You may also need to configure SpamAssassin carefully, as it can use quite a bit of memory if you receive a burst of email at a given time. Since the MicroStarter-VPS has a lower amount of available memory (128 MB guaranteed) than most of our VPS hosting accounts, you have a greater chance of running out of memory.

To see if your Virtuozzo VPS has run out of any memory resources, run the following command in a shell prompt:

cat /proc/user_beancounters

--------------------
Matt B.
Advantagecom Technical Support

Private messages are ignored unless solicited. If you have a support question, please email support@advantagecom.net, post in the appropriate section of the forum, or call if your service plan allows support by phone.
PMUsers Website
aie
Posted: Feb 17 2010, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

Matt:
thanks for that information. I'll monitor the memory usage closely!
I've gone back one step to test whether procmail is being invoked, and have found that the aliases and virtusertable FEATURES in sendmail are being invoked before procmail, which is why behaviour is different between host domain emails and virtual domain emails.

I'm working on a solution to this problem and will post the results here.

Cheers
Richard Scrivener
aie.com.au
PMEmail Poster
aie
Posted: Feb 17 2010, 09:47 PM
Quote Post

Matt:

This is really a commentary of how I'm going with this issue. No need to reply. I thought it might be a good log for others.

I got to the source of my original problem - getting procmail to work with virtual hosts.
I added a pipe alias in the aliases file to procmail and specified the procmailrc location. This allows filtering on a per-user basis, but means editing the aliases file outside HSPC unfortunately.

for example:
test_at_aie_com_au: "|/usr/bin/procmail -m /etc/mail/pmrcs/test.pmrc"

However, as you predicted, I started running into memory limits when trying to spamassassin. The CPAN shell keeps crashing with an "Out of Memory" error. sad.gif

After stopping usermin and webmin and php I was able to build some SpamAssassin perl module dependencies such as NetAddr::IP (with 74776 KB free!)

I'll keep going along this path until I run out of memory completely and then give up.

Any suggestions as to how I could squeeze a little more free memory?

cheers
Richard Scrivener
aie.com.au
PMEmail Poster
Matt
Posted: Feb 18 2010, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Richard:

Stopping services like you did is a good method for freeing up memory if you do not need access to those services at that time. You could also save a little memory at the times when your VPS has low web traffic by reducing Apache's MaxSpareServers. For more information on MaxSpareServers see:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/prefo...maxspareservers

You can set MaxSpareServers in your HSPC control panel at System tab > Server Management > Web Server. Click on the Edit button. Change the value of MaxSpareServers. Click on the Save button.

We also have our Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering Service. Email is filtered through an external appliance and then filtered email is sent to your mail server. For most people the volume of legitimate email is less than the volume of total email (legitimate email + spam), so this will also reduce the traffic to the VPS. If you use the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering Service, you would not need Spam Assassin as well, which would further save memory.

For more information on our Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering Service see the following:

http://www.simplywebhosting.com/spamfiltering.shtml

Another solution would be to upgrade your account to one with more available memory. You can upgrade your Virtuozzo VPS in your HSPC control panel at System tab > Upgrade Center > Change Hosting Plan. The Starter-VPS 2006 FC4 has twice the guaranteed RAM (256 MB) of your Micro-Starter VPS (128 MB). Upgrading a VPS through the HSPC control panel increases your existing VPS resources, so you do not have to move any files.

We also have our Xen hwVPS hosting accounts. The Starter hwVPS 2009 includes 256 MB RAM. This would be a new server environment and would require you move your programs and websites to the new hwVPS. For more information on our hwVPS hosting accounts see:

http://www.simplywebhosting.com/plans-vps/index-hwvps.shtml

--------------------
Matt B.

Private messages are ignored unless solicited. If you have a support question, please email support@advantagecom.net, post in the appropriate section of the forum, or call if your service plan allows support by phone.
PMUsers Website
aie
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

matt:

thanks for that info.
I've purchased the simplywebhosting.com spam filtering service. Much easier and quicker than setting up SpamAssassin myself.

How exactly does this service work? will I continue to manage email accounts for the filtered domain from HSPC? will I be able to see reports for number of filtered spam email etc?

I haven't yet found much detailed information on the service.

Thanks for you help
Richard Scrivener
aie.com.au
PMEmail Poster
aie
Posted: Feb 23 2010, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Hi Matt:

I haven't seen any change to spam levels for the domain icietla.com.au, which I nominated for the simplywebhosting.com spam filtering service.
Has it been activated? Can you point me to some detailed documentation for this service?

I have got SpamAssassin working for another domain, aie.com.au, so I might go with that solution.

cheers
Richard Scrivener
aie.com.au
PMEmail Poster
Matt
Posted: Feb 23 2010, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

Richard:

The Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering Service has just been configured for icietla.com.au. You have been sent a setup email with login information to the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering Service control panel. In that control panel you will be able to see statistics on how many emails were filtered for which mail users.

The control panel explains each option in detail, but if you have additional questions feel free to send them to our support department at support@advantagecom.net.

Note that it will take about 24 hours for the majority of caching DNS servers on the Internet to propagate the changes to your domain's MX record.

With the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering Service, email is filtered by the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering server, and then sent to your VPS. You will manage your email accounts as you would normally.

--------------------
Matt B.

PMUsers Website
aie
Posted: Feb 23 2010, 08:46 PM
Quote Post

Matt:

I got your email. Thanks for the info.

cheers
Richard
PMEmail Poster
aie
Posted: Mar 4 2010, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

Matt:

I just wanted to say that the mail filtering service is excellent and well worth the monthly fee.

thanks
richard
PMEmail Poster
Matt
Posted: Mar 5 2010, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

I am glad you like it. smile.gif

We use our Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering Service for our own domains. I have been very pleased with how it filters our email.

--------------------
Matt B.

PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll