Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Emergency maintenance fs1.schmolie.com, minimal downtime for customers
andy
Posted: Nov 3 2017, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

One of our virtuozzo VPS nodes, fs1.schmolie.com, will be going down for maintenance for about an hour early next week.

Customer VPS on this node are being migrated to another node. The migration process involves a small amount of downtime (usually a few seconds to a few minutes) that depends on the amount of disk usage that has to be synchronized between the two nodes. More disk space usage in the VPS increases the downtime during the final synchronization step of the migration process.

The time required to complete these migrations will determine when we're able to proceed with the maintenance. Some of the VPS are very large and take a long time to complete migration.

One of the error correcting memory modules has detected and corrected a large number of single bit errors. We're going to be diagnosing the trouble and taking corrective action.

Since the bit errors were automatically corrected by the ECC RAM in the system, no customer data or functionality was in jeopardy. We do still have to take action to correct the problem, however.

If needed, additional information will be posted on this thread.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Nov 7 2017, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

All VPS have finished migrating off this node.

We'll be taking it down for maintenance either this afternoon or tomorrow. Because all VPS have been migrated off of this node, no downtime will result.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Dec 7 2017, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

Our diagnostic process found 1 failed memory module.

We decided to upgrade the RAM from 16GB to 32GB.

The upgraded RAM tested as fully functional over a full week of burn-in RAM testing.

We've also taken this opportunity to change this node from Virtuozzo to XenServer, a more modern and capable virtualization platform that we've been using for all new installations since 2015.

This system will be the beachhead for our eventual transition of old accounts away from Plesk/Virtuozzo/HSPC to CPanel/XenServer/WHMCS. During this transition, we'll re-use older servers where possible and retire older servers that are incapable of supporting modern virtualization software. As each capable older system is emptied of accounts, it will be converted to XenServer to facilitate migration of additional accounts.

We're currently in the process of laying the groundwork to make this transition for all domains on ohp0.speedingbits.com since it has been one of our more problematic systems from a security and reliability standpoint. We'll notify affected accounts at the appropriate time in the process.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll