Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Compile or Recompile PHP
juanchi
  Posted: Jul 29 2004, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 381

I tried to upgrade to php 4.3.8 and used all options from my previous installation but I run into this error, maybe it have something to do with the fact that I'm running apache 2.0.40:

Configuring SAPI modules

checking for AOLserver support... no

checking for Apache 1.x module support via DSO through APXS... no

checking for Apache 1.x module support... no

checking for member fd in BUFF *... no

checking for mod_charset compatibility option... no

checking for Apache 2.0 filter-module support via DSO through APXS... no

checking for Apache 2.0 handler-module support via DSO through APXS... apxs:Error: Invalid query string `APU_BINDIR'.

apxs:Error: Invalid query string `APR_BINDIR'.

./configure: line 1: /apu-config: No such file or directory

./configure: line 1: /apr-config: No such file or directory

configure: error: Please note that Apache version >= 2.0.44 is required.

I don't know if someone can clarify this to me, if I'm using a virtual dedicated server it doesn't mean that I can use the source to recompile php that was install by defaul(4.2.2) on my server, right? Cause I'm looking at /usr/local/src/ and there is no files or should I look somewhere else, will i also need to install apache again on my virtual server? This is becoming a total mess.
PMEmail Poster
Matt
Posted: Jul 30 2004, 08:15 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 342

I don't know if someone can clarify this to me, if I'm using a virtual dedicated server it doesn't mean that I can use the source to recompile php that was install by defaul(4.2.2) on my server, right? Cause I'm looking at /usr/local/src/ and there is no files or should I look somewhere else, will i also need to install apache again on my virtual server? This is becoming a total mess.

You can compile your own version of applications if you wish. You would want to download the source directly from the organization that created the application. For php it would be http://php.net

If you were looking to upgrade Apache you would need to get the source from http://httpd.apache.org

If you want to go back to the version of php that was previously installed on your system you could reinstall the php application template. Ideally you would remove the template version of php before making a custom installation of php.

If you installed the new version of php over the template version of php you would need to remove the application template from your control panel and reinstall that application template. In this case it is likely that you will experience difficulties removing the application template.

Our support staff does not directly support applications that are not installed in application templates. We will do our best to point you in the direction of where you can find the information to troubleshoot the issues yourself.

--------------------
Matt B.
Advantagecom Technical Support

Private messages are ignored unless solicited. If you have a support question, please email support@advantagecom.net, post in the appropriate section of the forum, or call if your service plan allows support by phone.
PMUsers Website
juanchi
Posted: Jul 30 2004, 03:45 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 30 2004, 11:15 AM)

You can compile your own version of applications if you wish. You would want to download the source directly from the organization that created the application. For php it would be http://php.net

If you were looking to upgrade Apache you would need to get the source from http://httpd.apache.org

If you want to go back to the version of php that was previously installed on your system you could reinstall the php application template. Ideally you would remove the template version of php before making a custom installation of php.

If you installed the new version of php over the template version of php you would need to remove the application template from your control panel and reinstall that application template. In this case it is likely that you will experience difficulties removing the application template.

Our support staff does not directly support applications that are not installed in application templates. We will do our best to point you in the direction of where you can find the information to troubleshoot the issues yourself.

Thanks Matt for your reply and answer
PMEmail Poster
juanchi
Posted: Jul 30 2004, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Matt I was looking at my control panel but there is no unistall for Apache, it only saids that apache is embeded on system, how can I upgrade then Apache?
PMEmail Poster
andy
Posted: Jul 30 2004, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

If you're running Apache 2.0.40, you will have to upgrade Apache to 2.0.44 or higher to compile PHP 4.3.8. As Matt pointed out, that process is something you'd have to do on your own and isn't something we can realistically support.

You could also choose to use a slightly older version of PHP that compiles with Apache 2.0.40 (also unsupported).

Another option you have is to change to a VPS based on Fedora Core, since that has a newer version of PHP available as a template (PHP 4.3.4). This option is one that we could support if you have trouble with the application template.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Jul 30 2004, 04:01 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

Matt I was looking at my control panel but there is no unistall for Apache, it only saids that apache is embeded on system, how can I upgrade then Apache?

If you intend to upgrade Apache, you would need to first uninstall the control panel from your VPS since it is designed for configuring Apache automatically and it could interfere with any custom software you put in place of the default Apache.

Again, we don't recommend or support uninstalling Apache, so if you run into trouble, we won't be able to help you much beyond restoring your VE to its original state. To "uninstall" Apache, you would want to remove it from your startup scripts and make your new Apache installation at a different location from the original. Then reference the new Apache installation in your startup scripts. Your startup scripts are in /etc/rc.d , but I'd recommend leaving them alone until you've familiarized yourself with how they work. There are a great many resources on the Internet that explain how linux startup scripts work.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
juanchi
Posted: Jul 30 2004, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (andy @ Jul 30 2004, 06:54 PM)

Another option you have is to change to a VPS based on Fedora Core, since that has a newer version of PHP available as a template (PHP 4.3.4). This option is one that we could support if you have trouble with the application template.

Thanks Andy but how can I upgrade to Fedora since that option is not available in my control panel
PMEmail Poster
Matt
Posted: Aug 2 2004, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 342

The virtual environment of a VDS/VPS is based on the underlying Linux operating system. To upgrade from version of the OS to another requires ordering a new VPS based on the new OS and transferring all data and settings from the old VPS to the new VPS.

--------------------
Matt B.
Advantagecom Technical Support

Private messages are ignored unless solicited. If you have a support question, please email support@advantagecom.net, post in the appropriate section of the forum, or call if your service plan allows support by phone.
PMUsers Website
juanchi
Posted: Aug 2 2004, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 2 2004, 05:44 PM)
transferring all data and settings from the old VPS to the new VPS.

Transfer by whom? If I purchase the Fedora Plan will you transfer my site to the new hosting plan? or I will have to do everything by myself? Thanks.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll