Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Do NOT update to CentOS 6 kernel 2.6.32-696.18.7, 2.6.32-696.20.1.el6 safe to use
andy
Posted: Jan 15 2018, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

We've come across an issue related to the Intel microcode security bug and its supposed fix.

The latest kernel update to CentOS 6 (kernel 2.6.32-696.18.7.el6.x86_64) does not boot. They've attempted to fix the microcode security bug, but pushed out a cure worse than the disease. In their rush to fix the problem, they failed to properly test and created a kernel that won't boot.

Do NOT install this kernel.

If you need to run 'yum update' to get updates for your CentOS 6 system (hwVPS, e-hwVPS, or physical machine), please use this command instead:
CODE
yum update --exclude=kernel,kernel-firmware,kernel-headers,kexec-tools

This will exclude the kernel from the updates being installed.

If you have any other OS, you're unaffected. Only CentOS 6 is affected.

You can see more information about this open issue at:
https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=14336

If you have already installed this kernel, do NOT reboot! Instead, edit /etc/grub.conf in vim or vi (or other familiar linux text editor from SSH into your system as root) and change this:
CODE
default=0

to this:
CODE
default=1

This sets the default kernel used for boot to be the second one in the list shown later in grub.conf. If needed, you can also lengthen the timeout value in grub.conf to allow more time to select a kernel during boot (using xen-shell console if you have an hwVPS).

If you have a Managed hwVPS, please do not attempt to update your hwVPS on your own. Contact support by opening a ticket in the billing control panel here: https://cbp.speedingbits.com/billing/submitticket.php

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Feb 14 2018, 03:11 PM
Quote Post

There is now a newer kernel version 2.6.32-696.20.1.el6 available. We're testing this now and should have results shortly.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Feb 14 2018, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Kernel version 2.6.32-696.20.1.el6 functions and is safe to use.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll