Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Thanksgiving coming up soon, paging service and out of hours support
fairdinkum99
Posted: Nov 17 2005, 04:38 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 331

Hi guys

Remember the last time on a weekend there was a problem with the pager after an extended issue on one of the servers.. did anything get resolved from that as to ensuring that there will be out of hours weekend support at all times... e.g. that someone is checking the forum at least once every 8 hours, or checking the operation of the paging service etc etc.

Only asking cause of the pending Thanksgiving weekend.. and we dont really want to have to make contact and disturb any Thanksgiving dinners.

I cant recall seeing any official notice about it.
PMEmail Poster
andy
Posted: Nov 17 2005, 10:02 AM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

It is in the works. There are myriad reasons why it hasn't been done yet, but I don't think it is appropriate to get into that on the forum. Let's just say that the price increase due Dec. 1 is necessary for us to give customers the service they demand.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Nov 17 2005, 10:32 AM
Quote Post

I've talked with Jonathan about this to see if there is an interim solution that can be put in place before the holiday and we've come up with one that we think will be a good short term solution. He's working on implementing that between today and tomorrow and I'll post again when it's finalized.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
fairdinkum99
Posted: Nov 18 2005, 03:45 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 331

Thank you Andy for your recognition of the potential problem and setting things in place.
PMEmail Poster
andy
Posted: Nov 22 2005, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

We went one step further and got the final solution implimented. We skipped the interim solution.

The new instructions are up at:

http://support.schmolie.com/weekend-support.shtml

Basically, you're now calling or emailing a cell phone that is rotated through various staff at Advantagecom to even out the work load and lost sleep (which we hope will continue to be minimal).

The person you're contacting (off-hours support representative) serves as a buffer between customers and the technical staff. The off-hours support representative will collect all needed information and determine if a technician needs to be involved. If a technician needs to be involved, there is a small list of on-call technicians that the off-hours support representative will contact one by one until someone can be reached to resolve the problem.

The reason we needed this buffer between the technical staff and the customers is that during an outage, customers get angry when they don't get a response right away even though they may be one of 10 or 20 people paging us. In that scenario with the previous setup, pages would overflow the pager from both our monitoring system and from customers. Some would usually be lost. Additionally, the technician was faced with the choice of contacting customers or resolving the problem. Of course, resolving the problem always takes priority which means customers feel as if they're being left in the dark.

Now, you have a point of contact that can relay status information as it becomes available for your particular issue. This same person has the responsibility of making sure that you get us the information we need and that a technician begins working on the issue promptly, if required.

The 24/7 monitoring system and the pages that generates are handled directly by a dedicated technician.

If you have any questions, let me know.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll