Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Domain Filter
Jesse Lackman
Posted: Feb 19 2015, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 165

The Anti-spam and Anti-virus is running. Spam is still coming through. So I made a list of keywords and set up a domain filter to quarantine e-mails with the keywords in the subject.

"If the Subject contains the exact word from keyword list titled "Keywords" then place message in quarantine. "

The filter does not appear to be working.

I read this document http://kb.simplywebhosting.com/idx/9/219/article/ and there is no reference to "cskv.speedingbits.com" in the spam headers. I understand how that would help but why doesn't the domain filter work? Does it take time for the filter to take effect?

--------------------
PMUsers Website
Jesse Lackman
Posted: Feb 19 2015, 09:05 PM
Quote Post

I put in an Address filter using the same keyword list, will see if that does anything.

--------------------
PMUsers Website
Matt
Posted: Feb 20 2015, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 342

Jesse:

I read this document http://kb.simplywebhosting.com/idx/9/219/article/ and there is no reference to "cskv.speedingbits.com" in the spam headers. I understand how that would help but why doesn't the domain filter work? Does it take time for the filter to take effect?

If there is no reference to "cskv.speedingbits.com" in the spam header, then the email never went through the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering control panel.

Well behaved mail servers send email to the hostname in the domain name's MX record. When you ordered the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering Service, I changed the MX record to point to the hostname cskv.speedingbits.com. Once those DNS changes propagated, mail from well behaved mail servers would be sent to the IP address associated with cskv.speedingbits.com, which is 66.29.155.42. Once filtered, the email is then sent to your domain's IP address.

Some spam servers will ignore the MX record and send email to the IP address of your website, which is not 66.29.155.42. In this way, they get around the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering Control Panel.

The solution is to block all SMTP traffic to your domain's IP address except from cskv.speedingbits.com. That way, only email filtered through the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering Control Panel will reach your mail server. However, to do this you must meet the conditions outlined in the knowledgebase article you referenced.

Please contact support at (888) 509-0025 option 3 or at support@advantagecom.net to determine if we can block SMTP traffic to your domain name's IP address. We will confirm that those conditions have been met to avoid complications.

--------------------
Matt B.
Advantagecom Technical Support

Private messages are ignored unless solicited. If you have a support question, please email support@advantagecom.net, post in the appropriate section of the forum, or call if your service plan allows support by phone.
PMUsers Website
Jesse Lackman
Posted: Feb 21 2015, 03:49 AM
Quote Post

Ok I completely understand now. I contacted support. Thanks.

--------------------
PMUsers Website
Jesse Lackman
Posted: Mar 9 2015, 07:13 AM
Quote Post

What is the difference between reject and delete for quarantined messages?

--------------------
PMUsers Website
Matt
Posted: Mar 11 2015, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 342

With the "Reject" option, the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering mail server will not accept the email message. With the "Delete" option, the email is accepted and then immediately deleted.

Both options achieve the same end result to the user, in that they will never see the spam email. Unless you have reason to do otherwise, we prefer you choose the "Reject" option between those two options as it takes less resources to perform that action.

Note that you will never be able to review email that was blocked with the "Reject" or "Delete" option. This is why the "Quarantine message" option is the recommended option in most cases, so that you can later review recent mail that was considered spam by the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus Email Filtering mail server.

--------------------
Matt B.
Advantagecom Technical Support

Private messages are ignored unless solicited. If you have a support question, please email support@advantagecom.net, post in the appropriate section of the forum, or call if your service plan allows support by phone.
PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll