Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> PHP CMS - which is best plan.
Wayne
Posted: Sep 14 2004, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Hi,

I am getting more enquiries re safe mode restrictions in relation to various cms' and certain features that that will not function under safe mode. I currently run a upipe account.

I have been looking at the various current plans such as the D-VPS and configurations of your VDS with the view of offering PHP not in safe mode to certain clients. I would appreciate any advice on which plan might best suit. at this stage I am happy to go with the performance of IDE hd.

Thanks

wayne

PM
Matt
Posted: Sep 15 2004, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 342

The X-VPS and D-VPS are our standard VPS accounts. The basic differences between the two types of accounts are the amount of included monthly data transfer and disk space, and the type of disk system used.

D-VPS
- 3 GB monthly data transfer
- 3 GB disk space
- IDE hard drive

X-VPS
- 5 GB monthly data transfer
- 500 MB disk space
- SCSI RAID hard drives

The benefits of SCSI RAID over single IDE are redundancy (one hard drive can go down and the whole system can still function) and speed. Adding additional hard drive space to your account is cheaper on the D-VPS than on the X-VPS.

For more information on our VPS accounts see:

http://www.simplywebhosting.com/hosting-overview.shtml

PHP safe mode reduces the capabilities of PHP scripts by reducing the access of those scripts. If someone breaks into your VPS through an exploitable or poorly programmed PHP script it will minimize the access of that script and therefore the damage it can do.

Certain applications require safe-mode to be off. If you need to run one of those applications then turning-off PHP safe mode will make sense for you.

You can find more information about PHP safe mode at:

http://www.php.net/features.safe-mode

--------------------
Matt B.
Advantagecom Technical Support

Private messages are ignored unless solicited. If you have a support question, please email support@advantagecom.net, post in the appropriate section of the forum, or call if your service plan allows support by phone.
PMUsers Website
Wayne
Posted: Sep 16 2004, 05:51 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 25

Thanks for the reply Matt

In the case of an IDE drive going down, what would be the train of events re downtime and backup.

Wayne

PM
andy
Posted: Sep 16 2004, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

Wayne,

Depending on the type of failure, the data on the drive may or may not be recoverable from the failed drive. Data is often unrecoverable from a failed drive, though.

In the case of recoverable data, we'd pull out the drive and copy its contents to a new drive. We'd then boot the system with the new drive. Total downtime would likely be 3 to 4 hours, but possibly more if there are complications while copying the data.

If the data was not recoverable at all, we'd have to replace the drive, reinstall the OS, reinstall Virtuozzo, restore data from backups (which may be from a few days ago), and reboot the system. In that instance, downtime would be 6 to 8 hours.

If you can handle that kind of downtime and the possibility that we might have to restore a copy of data that may be from a few days ago, then a hosting plan based on a server using a single IDE drive could probably work for you.

One thing to keep in mind. PHP applications often rely on databases to store and retrieve various bits of data. If you plan on using a database extensively (as CMS applications invariably do), you definitely want a plan based on a server that uses SCSI RAID. Otherwise, you will have performance issues as your usage increases and those performance issues will creep into other VPS's on the same server since they all share the hard drive. If you're just doing development work on a database, that's different than trying to run a production database with an active web site and would be just fine on an IDE drive.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll