Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> ImageMagick please?
mioi
Posted: Aug 31 2002, 05:21 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

Hi. I have a PHP script which requires ImageMagick to make thumbnails. It would be very nice if you could install that. Thanks.

rolleyes.gif www.imagemagick.org

--------------------
lovely indiepop music 24/7: www.spacelab.org
PM
andy
Posted: Sep 1 2002, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

Group: Advantagecom Staff
Member No.: 9

Is this for a Upipe account?

In previous discussion elsewhere in these forums, it was determined that we would not be installing libgd or imagemagick support into the PHP module of the Upipe server because of concerns about its misuse.

The virtual dedicated server accounts that we'll be launching in a few weeks will allow you to install whatever modules you feel are necessary. They are also resource limited which means that if someone were to misuse a module and cause high CPU loads it would only slow down that one account on the server.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
CTO, Advantagecom Networks

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
mioi
Posted: Sep 1 2002, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

sad.gif

...what if i promise not to misuse it?

rolleyes.gif

--------------------
PM
andy
Posted: Sep 1 2002, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

I can only wish we had fine grained enough control on Upipe accounts to allow just certain users access to certain modules. If we had that level of control, then we probably would let you use it. wink.gif

Our concern is that when we enable a module in PHP, every domain on the server then has access to that module. Since we don't directly control every domain, this would become a big hairy mess rather quickly. All it takes is one domain user abusing it to take down the server or cause performance problems for the other customers on the server.

With the new accounts we're launching in a few weeks, we will have that control we need. If someone chooses to abuse a module, they'll only take down (or slow down) their own account. It provides a highly effective check and balance system that deters abuses.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

Please do not private message me. My regular management duties preclude responding to every customer that sends me a support issue. Instead, post on the forum or contact tech support.
PMUsers Website
mioi
Posted: Sep 1 2002, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

thanks for the detailed responses. i wonder how much the "virtual dedicated" accounts will be. i hope not that bad...

rolleyes.gif

--------------------
PM
andy
Posted: Sep 1 2002, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

I worked out pricing for the new plans last night (part of my duties as CTO) and they'll start at $9.95 a month. They'll have slightly less disk space and bandwidth for the money, but they offer a ton more flexibility for things like this.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

PMUsers Website
mioi
Posted: Sep 1 2002, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

COOOL!! I can't wait! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
PM
oz|blonde
Posted: Sep 2 2002, 03:54 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 48

Andy: you stated: "The virtual dedicated server accounts that we'll be launching in a few weeks"

Can you give more information about this. What kind of customer is it aimed at?

Any info is good at this point in planning future requirements for hosting with your company.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Sep 2 2002, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

There will be other plans based on the same technology launched at the same time, but the virtual dedicated server plans will be targetted to people that want the flexibility of a dedicated server but don't want to fork out big bucks or mess with colocation. You can play with software versions, Apache modules, root access, and so forth.

It's also upgradeable to a true dedicated server with just a few seconds of downtime via an automated upgrade interface.

We're not 100% sure on this yet, but we'll probably start setting up all new "Level" accounts and "E-Commerce" accounts on the new platform. They wouldn't get root access or any of the flexibility that comes with that, but they could upgrade to a virtual dedicated server on the fly via the automated upgrade interface.

Also, along with the server technology, we'll be installing a new web based billing system so you can view your bills and payments over the web, at least for accounts setup through this system. We're not sure yet if or when we'll be migrating any existing accounts over to the new billing system.

There is also a strong possibility that we'll be launching a special reseller program for those people that want to be able to resell our services directly and still remain anonymous. We're still working out the details on that, though.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Sep 12 2002, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

We've setup a new forum for discussion of our new virtual dedicated server accounts.

http://forum.schmolie.com/viewforum.php?f=21

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

PMUsers Website
brucew
Posted: Mar 16 2003, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 129

How about on MDH?

--------------------
I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
PMUsers Website
andy
Posted: Mar 17 2003, 01:22 AM
Quote Post

Nope. If you need ImageMagic support, VDS will be the way to go.

--------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

PMUsers Website
brucew
Posted: Mar 17 2003, 06:19 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 129

Kinda fingured. But of course I had to ask. smile.gif

Thanks Andy.

--------------------
I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll